New Buildings Regulations

On 1st March 2014, revised building regulations came into force and these regulations imposed more stringent stipulations on Architects, Engineers and Builders when undertaking construction projects. The regulations now extend to a wider range of buildings including new dwellings and extensions over 40 sqm.

Buildings now require a fire safety certificate, a disability access certificate and a certificate of compliance for design.

At the completion of the building project a “certificate of compliance on completion” must be submitted to the Local Authority, this certificate is backed up with drawings, calculations and specifications signed by the builder and the assigned certifier [Engineer / Architect] and it confirms the inspection regime was completed and that the building is in compliance.

It is not until this certificate is validated by the Local Authority and placed on the register that the building can be opened, used or occupied. This would have implications for drawing down funding, insurance etc.
At Nolan Homes we take care of all these matters

Building Regulations Part L

All buildings must comply with Part L of the Building Regulations. All buildings must minimise the use of fossil fuel energy and related carbon dioxide [C02] emissions arising from the operations of the building. Buildings will have to be designed and constructed to achieve this aim. At Nolan Homes we will advise you on all these matters.

Health & Safety

The Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Regulation came into effect on 1st August 2013. Under this, it is the home owner / developer’s responsibility to ensure the builder’s insurance complies with all matters regarding Health and Safety on the project. The project supervisor design process [PSDP] and the project supervisor construction stage [PSCS] must form part of the process and if you employ Nolan Homes, this company will take on both roles during design & construction .

Building Energy Ratings

berienergyratingscalesWhat is Building Energy Ratings [BER Rating]
The Building Energy Rating [BER] is an indication of the energy performance of a dwelling. It covers energy use for heating, water heating, ventilation, and lighting. Since the introduction of the new energy rating legislation all buildings must now hold a valid Energy Rating Certificate [BER]. An A1 rating home is the most energy efficient and cost less to heat than a G rated house. Since July 2011, it is compulsory that all new homes conform to carbon reduction of 54% and Energy reduction of 60%

What is a U value

U value is the measure of the rate of heat loss through a material. The lower the U value the less heat is lost through the fabric of the house
Air tightness
Air tightness is about the elimination of draughts and air leakage through gaps and cracks in the fabric of the building. The method used to establish the level of air loss in a building is called the blower door test. Air tightness tests are mandatory on all new homes since 2008

All Nolan Homes are A Rated you don’t have to worry about the regulatory complexities of the build progress itself, as we do all that for you, we can also advise you on upgrading your design to passive level.

Homebond Insurance Cover

The policy covers
• Structural Defects
Covers for 10years in respect of the repair of major structural defects

• Water Ingress / Smoke penetration
Cover for 5 years in respect of remedial work in the event of water ingress / smoke penetration caused by major structural defects

• Deposits & Stage payments
Cover for Home Buyers for the loss of money deposited for the construction or purchase of a new home

• Protection
Homebond Insurance is underwritten by Allianz plc, one of the world’s leading insurance providers

All Nolan Homes projects are covered with the Homebond insurance policy